2014 Season - Week 21
Super Bowl XLIX Tonight!
From the Commissioner:
As we get ready for the big game tonight - the finishing touch on our 7th season - I would like to thank everyone who played this year. It's been a fun, competitive season, right down to the wire - with two players vying for Site Champion tonight.
I also want to take this opportunity to pay tribute to one of our own. Heffnery, a GridironPicker member since 2013, passed unexpectedly on Thanksgiving eve this season. He was a teacher, musician, husband, and father of two. He came in as a rookie last season, and posted the best record in his pool.
To honor his memory, we've created a new award - The Heffnery Cup - awarded to the best player in each pool* at the end of the season.
2014 Week 21 Update
53 players went 31-22, winning 58.4% of all picks.
|Top 5 Players of the Season|
|1||countryboy68||148 - 119||.554||563|
|2||dinky678||147 - 120||.551||561|
|3||Dillio's Bears||144 - 122||.541||554|
|4||NostraDANus||142 - 125||.532||551|
|5||WozisZeus||142 - 123||.536||549|
|Top 3 Players of the Week|
|1||countryboy68||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|Dillio's Bears||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|WozisZeus||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|NostraDANus||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|RatherLargeTrout||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|jagarrison||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|Barry'$ O.B. Mama||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|ToxicRick||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|Steve Holt!||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|AdamDeMarie||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|C Note||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|Smooth||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|syogerst||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|albert||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|jasiarb||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|The Commissioner||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|Stawski||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|brenda||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|tommyboyj||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|RodgersGrl12||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|mochie||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|andy||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|AusHole||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|anotophoenix||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|SWJORDIE||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|jcira||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|Relken||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|easybake29||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|Cjgarrison342||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|Pigskin Gigolo||1 - 0||1.000||3|
|luckylisa||1 - 0||1.000||3|
The Rules...or, How it all works
- You have to login. Accounts are free.
- Join one, none, or many pools...it's your choice, but you make one set of picks that apply to all pools.
- Pick AGAINST THE SPREAD, NOT STRAIGHT UP. (more on that later)
- Picks must be in by five minutes before the scheduled game time.
- Pick EVERY game. If you fail to pick one, you'll lose points.
- You are ranked by points, not winning percentage. A win gives you 3 points, a loss gives you 1 point. No pick = no point.
- Spreads will be entered as soon as possible during the week, BUT - they may be updated as late as Thursday (but not later). Your pick will be scored on the FINAL spread, regardless what it was when you made your pick. They are based on average spreads compiled from several Vegas casinos.
Picking Against The Spread (ATS)
If you've never picked based on the point spread, it's pretty simple. Unlike picking the winner straight up, you have to take the point spread into account, just like Las Vegas. In any given game, one team will be favored to win by a certain amount of points - the spread. If you pick the favorite, they MUST win by at least that many points.
Example: say the New England Patriots are favored by 6.5 pts over the Indianapolis Colts. If New England wins by 3 pts and you picked New England - you would lose that pick, because they didn't cover the spread. If you had picked Indy, you would win - even though Indy actually lost. Get it?
We use half-point spreads on every game to avoid the inevitable arguing over what a "push" means.